Re: Novice Mechanic Needs Help Part 2

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Novice Mechanic Needs Help Part 2
From: "john tolbert" <jtolbert@tricon.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 11:23:19 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <jtolbert@kpt1.tricon.net>
Since several responded to me in my original appeal for help, I
thought I would respond to them via the whole list and allow any
others to pitch in with their ideas.

To summarize the problem, my '79 Spit won't start.  It had been
sitting in the garage for a little over a week.  I tried to start it
and the motor turned fine, but would not start.  I tried several
times, and then suddenly, CLICK CLICK came from the solenoid and
nothing else happened.  Of course, I figured the battery was too low.
I charged it.  Still nothing but a click.  At the advice of several
of you, I attacked potential problems in the wiring.  By the time I
was finished I had put in new battery cables (negative and positive),
a new solenoid, and a new cable from the solenoid to the starter.
I still only got a CLICK.  So, this morning I pulled the truck around
and hooked up the booster cables and tried.  Still only the CLICK.
I also tried rolling the car back and forth in gear to make sure the
the starter wasn't caught in the flywheel and also turned to shaft of
the starter.

The only other suspect I can think of is the starter has gone bad for
some reason.  I plan to pull it and take it to have it tested.

But first, does anyone have any other ideas before I start removing
the bolts and pulling parts?

Thanks!!
John L. Tolbert