Re: HELP - 'weird' sound from my Triumph

To: ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: HELP - 'weird' sound from my Triumph
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 95 19:47:49 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I am using my GT6 as my daily driver, and every day there seems to be a new
>smell, or a new change in sound - but that seems to be the blessing of
>British 'Vintage' Cars. However, today it started something quite different.
>It is like a 'clonk' sound and it appears mostly when I am e.g. stopped at a
>traffic light and start to get going in 1st gear. It is not WHEN I shift
>gears, but when the car just starts to move,, but more somewhere from
the back of
Michael,
  I just went through thesame clunking noise!!!
 After tearing out and rebuilding the entire axle assembly, the only
thing I found was that one of the yokes holing the axle u-joint was worn
and letting the joint slide just a little bit back and forth, creating a
clunking sound of two or three lumps when first starting out in first
gear and when coming to a stop.
 I would suggest you take a look a the u-joints. Good quality Neapcio joints
part No. 0-0301 available at most parts stores for about $8.00 ea. These
are pretty good since they have a grease fitting for future lubing>
Regards,
Tony R.
66,67,68,69GT6
64TR4 oops