Teri-Ann vs. Charles, or "God bless America"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Teri-Ann vs. Charles, or "God bless America"
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 11:26:33 -0500
I swore I wouldn't get into this, but I can no longer restrain myself.

I've been buying TR3 parts from TRF for as long as they've been around, and
have generally had good service and availability, especially in the days when
there wasn't anywhere else to get anything.  I occasionally buy from other
sources, but almost never have a problem getting what I want from TRF.
 However, that's beside the point.

< Stepping up on soapbox >

One of the nice things about living in America is that a business owner can
do just about anything he damn well pleases with his company, and what
usually pleases him most is making a profit at the end of the year.  He's the
one risking his time, money and often his health to make the business
successful.  I don't know anything about TRF's sales or profitability, and
could care less, but the fact of the matter is it isn't a charitable
organization set up to support a few masochists (myself included) who insist
on owning the few remaining examples of a particular car.

If Charles if de-emphasizing the early TRs, and I suspect he is, it's
probably because they don't generate nearly the business the later models do.
 Think about it...how many TR3s are there out there as compared to TR6s, 7s
and Spitfires (and MGBs)?   Go to any British car show and count the cars.
  Also, few older TRs are daily drivers and just don't need as many parts as
they used to.  However, the TR6s, Spits and MGBs are now old enough to
require lots of restoration work.   As more early cars get retired to the
garage, there's going to be even less of that business.  At some point, the
return on investment of inventory, production, etc. will get so low as to
become unprofitable, and we'll either have to pay exorbitant prices or settle
for lower quality, or both.

Another point...part of the pleasure of the "old car" hobby has always been
searching for, and eventually finding, the correct part.  If you have to have
everything instantly available, you should probably not own an old car of any
kind.

Back to my main point...TRF is Charles' business to do with as he pleases.
 If he thinks he can make more money selling Teddy Bears to eskimos, that's
his prerogative.  It's also his ass if he screws up.   Personally, I don't
want a Teddy bear and hope he keeps producing and selling parts for _my_
cars, but:

THIS IS AMERICA
IT'S HIS BUSINESS

I suggest any of us who haven't already done so, either immediately order at
least one of everything in the blue (or green or whatever's current) price
list, to make sure the needed part is available when it's wanted, or go buy a
Miata.

< Stepping off soapbox >

Sorry about this, but I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Don Marshall

'57 TR3 (Restored garage queen)
'62 TR3-B (under restoration but all parts are in MY inventory)
'63 TR4 (Autocrosser wannabe)
Several parts cars...