Hot Generator--Need Help!

To: BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hot Generator--Need Help!
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 23:14:28 -0500
Today I replaced the generator on one of my LBC's.  The old one had a broker
rear plate at the mounting bolt hole.

The new one works fine, insofar as it puts out the juice.  However, after a
few minutes of running, it is too hot to touch.

Is this a problem?  or is this normal?

Do I need to polarize the field?  Both old and new are 12V negative earth.

Do I need to readjust something in the voltage regulator?

Both are LUCAS.

Old one:  22258P   9   58
              C 39PV2 10 12V

New One:  Numbers are in a place I can not read.  The front portion is
slightly larger than the rear portion.  I dug it out of a Cortina MKII.

The current installation is in our 1963 Consul Capri (negative earth).  But I
have no idea if the old unit is correct original model for the.

Any help is greatly apprecaited.  I am afraid to drive the car very far as it
is.

Brian N.

Spitfire MKII
Spitfire 1500