TR7 Water pump probs

To: triumphs
Subject: TR7 Water pump probs
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 17:59:31 -0700

       Date: Thu, 30 Nov 95 10:42:02 -30000
       From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>

Welcome to the wonderful world of TR7 water pumps.  I put two on my car in a
three year period, so I'm qualified to answer this question at least.

The pump sits in the block, and is driven via a shaft similar to a
distributor.  It looks a lot like one rotor of a turbocharger, with the
bearings sitting beneath the pump rotor being sealed from the coolant.

The little window allows coolant which gets by the seals to exit the block,
instead of building up around the bearings.  Because of the window, a little
leakage won't cause bearing failure.

However, the leakage indicates the same thing as leakage around a
conventional pump; i.e. the pump must be replaced.

For some reason Triumph chose to sink a part which has to be occasionally
replaced, in a spot requiring considerable engine disassembly to reach.

Yes, you will be removing the intake manifold. Be sure to retorque in the
right order, and to the proper level, or you will be retapping threads in the
aluminum.

The good news is that this repair can be done without special tools.  The bad
news is that it's probably going to kill a whole Saturday.  Be careful in
seating the new pump, take your time, and you should have the car back on the
road (at least until the fuel pump goes-another story).

Good luck,

Sean Johnson
'79 MGB, '75 Spit, 'wife cried when I sold the '79 TR7