Gear Selection Problem TR4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear Selection Problem TR4A
From: drussell@cisco.com (David Russell)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 09:58:45 -0800
Hi all,

Question for collective wisdom.

My 65 TR4A has developed a problem in the gear selection. Driving home last
night I suddenly was stuck with only 1st and 2nd gear. I could not move the
selector over to select 3rd or 4th (or up and across to get reverse). The
selector was stuck in the 1st/2nd path only. 1st and 2nd worked fine, and I
was able to drive home, neutral is still somewhere between 1st and 2nd,
just no sideways movement in the selector is possible. There was and is no
odd noises from the gearbox.

What is the likely cause of this? I hope it is only a fault in the gearbox
top cover, rather than in the gearbox itself. I studied a few diagrams and
there is a spring/ball mechanism in TR4 selectors to stop the selector
rattling, could this have broken and be restricting the movement of the
gear selector?

Any advice would be appreciated before I start pulling off the top cover.

thanks,
David.