Re: manifold wrapping

To: Paul Mew <paulmew@vossnet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: manifold wrapping
From: Michael Turley <killjoy@norden1.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 16:01:02 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paul Mew wrote:

> Hi Nick, thanks for the reply.  My problem is no so much that the car
> dies in traffic, but that if you stop and turn off the car, ie when
> getting petrol, popping into shops or stalling, then if fails to
> restart.  I've got an oil cooler fitted, but then again it is doing
> it this time of year in england, where the temparature averages only
> about 5-10 degrees C anyway.  Somebody suggested it may be timing is
> out so I may get that seen to, but in the meantime I've seen this
> heat shield tape wrap from a race parts co. called demon tweeks which
> they claim reduces underbonnet temps by about 70 percent when you use
> it to wrap the exhaust manifold.

Just so you know, if you wrap your manifold, you will be replacing it
soon.  Keeping the heat in like that quickly deteriorates the metal that
it is made of.  Manifold wraps, in my opinion, are only good for racing
cars where there is no other way to solve an excess heat problem, and you
expect to replace parts frequently anyway.  "Demon Tweeks" eh?  Sounds
like it to me, if they are recommending this for street car use.

A better solution would be to make sure all your stock air deflectors
are in place, and make heat shields as necessary out of aluminum sheet
metal.

Michael Turley
'67 Spitfire Mk2