[no subject]

To: KEDWARDS@NORFOLK.INFI.NET, TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
From: ushwy3ey@ibmmail.com
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 20:16:55 EST
From:       Keith A. Edwards     (804) 925-2539 Virginia DOT

Date:       12/04/95  / 19:57:48
Subject:    Reply to True Dual exhaust on a 4 cyl TR?
Scott,

I have fit a 2 1/2" pipe thru the frame crucifix (sp?) on my TR3 race car, as
I recall.  It fits tight and rattles a bit.  That is not quite what you asked,
but figured it would help you, since 2 1/2" is pretty standard output from a
header.  Doubt you can fit 2 reasonably sized pipes thru the frame.
The TR4A is not a real dual exhaust.  Much of the benefit of a dual
exhaust on a V8 is feeding them from separate banks and never having them mix.
Assume your header is 4 into 1.  The 4A has 2 different setups available, the
early one has a front small muffler combining the 2 headpipes into one pipe to
the rear, then Ys to 2 mufflers and pipes.  The later 4A looks more like the
TR6.  It has 2 head pipes from the manifold with a short 2 into 1, long
connector pipe then a long muffler across the back.
I have both an early 4A and a late setup 4A.  I like the sound of the early 4A
for which I was too cheap to replace both rear mufflers, so have straight
pipes, from the rear Y.
If I recall correctly, the length is slightly different but you can probably
use the TR4 center pipe and muffler with the late TR4A rear Y pipe.
I do like the sound of my  early 4A with straight pipes from the rear Y.
Keith Edwards

cc:         TRIUMPHS             Internet entry for TRIUMPHS
            KEDWARDS             Internet entry for KEDWARDS