Rocker Oil Feed kits for TR's - they work fine.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (triumph cars list)
Subject: Rocker Oil Feed kits for TR's - they work fine.
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:12:01 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
hi

Rocker Oil Feed Kits - no longer a problem

This is in response to a question asked a few weeks ago by Scott Tilton
about potential problems with rocker oil feed kits for TR2->4A engines
(ie:4 cylinders). I've leafed through some back issues of TRaction
(The magazine of the UK based TR Register) and found 3 references to this
subject. I know this one has come up before, but anyway ...

One Dave Lacey in TRaction 117 says he fitted a kit and got
symptoms of pinging/pinging, oil consumption of 150 miles/pint and
the rearview obscured by smoke at 4500rpm! Meanwhile in issue 119 Bob
Paul in the USA describes similar problems - large coulds of smoke, overrun
on shut off & poor oil pressure. Both these guys removed the oil feed
kit & things improved dramatically. Finally, in issue 122 Keith Knight
fitted the kit to a TR6 and it worked fine, he claims zero rocker wear
after installation.

Dave Lacey decribed what happened in his car (a 4A) - excess oil trying
to run down the rocker bores met fumes coming up the bores and
the resultant fume & oil droplets get sucked into the manifold via
the emission valve.

The Good News Is:
a) 4 cylinder applications - Moss now supplies a modfied banjo bolt that
   restricts the oil flow, now it all works fine.
b) Always worked fine in 6 cylinder applications.

The technical expert in TRaction suggests that the standard 4 cylinder
rocker oiling is adequate for normal use, while the initial oil feed to the
6 cylinder engines is slower. If you have the (old) Moss kit on a 4 or 6
cylinder engine with a PCV valve or roller rockers, contact Moss for a
(free?) replacement bolt.  I dont quite get the logic of the last sentence,
but thats what it says.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Adrian + TR4
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk