Re: spit 1500 big end rattle<C240655EDC@novell2.bham.ac.uk>

To: "Dr J.E.Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: spit 1500 big end rattle<C240655EDC@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 13:22:57 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>My Spitfire 1500 was suffering from low oil pressure and big end
>rattle on startup, so before it got too bad I replaced the big end,
>main bearings, thrust washers, oil pump and oil pressure relief
>spring.  Oil pressure is now back to what it should be (over 50 psi @
>2000 rpm when hot).  However, on startup in the morning there is
>still a 2-3 second delay before the oil light goes out and a
>corresponding bearing rattle.  Is this normal or does the oil light
>on a new or recon engine go out immediately after standing all night?
>I've tried a variety of oil filters, including the proper Unipart
>one, but this makes no difference.  Any thoughs anyone?

When starting from cold, try cranking the engine over without the choke out
until the green light goes out, then pull the choke out to fire, this should
stop the knocking as the oil is pumped round the bearings before it fires.
The oil light in my MkIV Spitfire actually comes on for a second or two after
it has fired but there is NO rattle!!! Strange eh!! any ideas?

Rich