Re: cold running

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cold running
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:52:33 +0100
> >an alcohol (don't remember which) that will bond to the water and lower
> >it's freezing point.
>
>       That normally shouldn't be needed if all the rubber/etc is in good
> shape - water shouldn't be getting in.
>
>       The problems described sound like one of: too-thick carb oil; carbs
> that need a rebuild; badly adjusted or improperly used choke; or maybe timing
> wrong or a vacuum leak.

Not that I'm an expert but my impression is that there will always be
some amount of water due to condensation in the gas tank. When the
temperature is not around (or below) freezing this poses no problem
because the amount is relatively small, but if the water freezes in
the carburetter it may partly block the jet.

Having had my own share of carburetter problems (and still have) I agree
that there are many different things that may cause erratic carburetter
functioning (Then again - you are only really in trouble when you can
think of nothing more to fix, but it still doesn't run right ;-)

Adding 'carburettor fluid' (don't know the english term) every time you
buy gas (while it's cold) is a very simple thing and it may do wonders
for you (and may not, then the problem is elsewhere).

By the way don't pour your 12 year old whiskey into the gas tank (it
contains too much water) and don't mistake the 'carburetter fluid' for
carburettor cleaner which is somewhat related but much more expensive.
Expect to pay about 2 US $ for half a gallon.

 - Peter