Re: synthetic oil for positraction differential carriers

To: classic@interserv.com
Subject: Re: synthetic oil for positraction differential carriers
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 08:53:46 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 21 Dec 1995 classic@interserv.com wrote:

> Has anyone had any direct experience in using synthetic oil in a differential
> with a Quaffe positraction?
>
> I heard that the synthetic might be too slippery for the positraction carrier
> clutches, but I don't even know if the Quaffe uses clutches or gears.

The Quaiffe limited slip is a gear device. Very clever and very
complicated to describe. I would think that you could use the synthetic
gear lubes in such a diff. as long as there was sufficient EP additives.
Remember, you still have the ring and pinion to worry about. The lubes for
clutch-type limited slips have friction modifiers to allow the clutches to
grip. BTW, I think Positraction is a trademark of GM.

Phil Barnes '71 TR6  CC61193L