TR 4 Exhaust System

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 4 Exhaust System
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 13:29:24 -0500
1) Need some help, please, folks.  My TR4 has what looks like a Monza exhaust
system on it.  The car was originally mine (bought at the factory in 1964)
but someone else had it from 1976 until 1991 when I bought it back - a whole
other story.  Any way, the exhaust system now on it was put on in 1990 and
has rusted to the point that the hanger which holds the muffler up has rusted
off  and there is a hole in the muffler.  I have never been happy with this
system because it does not sound like the car did when it was new.

2) So I want to replace it with an original system (which has a muffler about
halfway down the system toward the tailpipe and a "silencer" sometimes called
a "resonator" about 3/4th of the way down toward the tailpipe. The present
system does not have the silencer - which is why it does not sound the way it
originally did.

3) The questions --- Has anyone replaced their system recently with what
TRF,Moss or Victoria calls an "original" type and if so
a)Did it sound original (TR's had a distinctive sound when new)
b)Is the stainless steel version worth the extra money (about twice as much)
c)Any other things of which I should be aware (e.g.is the system complete -
gaskets etc.)

4) I intend to have a local garage (they do good work) put it on for me - I
can supervise so I need to know what to watch out for.

5) Appreciate any help.

6) Have a great holiday, all!

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (Original owner, daily driver)