Split Spit mystery solved

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Split Spit mystery solved
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 21:49:24 -0500
Wordly Scions,

A couple of days ago I wrote to this list about my '75 Spit which
appeared to have been welded across the width of the body tub.
I have determined that the rear half of the body tub is from a pre '74
car.  I have yet to find any significant difference in the coats of paint
on the two halves of the body.  What gave it away was the rear light
cluster gaskets.  Pre '74 cars have a much more substantial gasket,
where the later cars have a 'cost reduced' minimal foam gasket.
Apparantly this type of welding repair is not so un-common.  I have gotten
mail from a couple of fellow Scions who have seen this phenomenon
before.

As I am scrapping the body, I have a couple of large parts that may
be of some use to someone in the NC area.  I really don't want to fool
with shipping these parts and they are probably not worth it anyway.
These parts will going to the scrap yard along with the body tub in
about a week unless someone wants to come get them.  Hence they
are free for the taking.  Square tail Spit parts are:

Doors - driver one dented & some rust, Passenger door rust & dent free
Bumpers - pretty straight & useable - some pitting, rear one is 'older' style
Steering column with switches, lock & 1 key - small bits can be removed
and mailed (if u pay postage) Email to s1500@aol.com for more info.

How many of us got our TRF X-mas sale catalogs on Dec. 24 ?
I know of at least one other person.

Bob Sykes
75 (mostly), 78, 78 Spitfires