Re: plugged water passages & wiper motors - TR4

To: Adrian Jefferies <asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk>
Subject: Re: plugged water passages & wiper motors - TR4
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 12:05:23 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumph cars list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 2 May 1996, Adrian Jefferies wrote:

> A long standing (and hence forgotten) fault on my TR4 is that the engine
>drain tap
> which lives down below the carbs has never produced any coolant. The heater
> has now stopped working & the heater cable to the control valve snapped at the
> same time - I've go the valve in On mode but still no heat. Concidence? Hmmm.
> Also, the car has been running a bit hotter these past few months. I suspect
>its all
> bunged up.
>

> My plan is to attempt to a) drain the radiator b) attach a garden hose to
>various
> points in the system to try to flush it all out. Apart from that, the car runs
> fine.
>
> Any clues?

Adrian, I'll assume your TR4 block still has the original drain petcock.
Have you tried removing that completely? Beyond that, have you tried
probing around the drain hole with a piece of stout wire? I've found in
the past that often clearing clogs that seem to accumulate here will be
enough to initiate a flow that will then clear the rest of the engine.
That, in turn, might also be enough to clear the heater core, if that is
clogged as well.

Once I have established an actual flow through the drain holes, I've
usually had good luck with the standard chemical flushing compounds to
finish the job.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *