TR-6 Tires (the thread with tread)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-6 Tires (the thread with tread)
From: Gregory Urban <gurban1@gl.umbc.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 22:45:50 -0400 (EDT)
Well, since I promised, here are my thoughts on tires, and a recap of
recommendations.

>From those the responded, the recommendations were
        - BF Goodrich T/A
        - Bridgestone RE xx (Where xx ='s some 2 digit # I can't remember
        - Bridgestone Turanza
        - Dunplop D60 (or was that SP60)

        Throw in a recommendation for Yokahama, but Yoko was the only
tire that someone actually advised against.

        Oh, don't forget Avon's for the red-line crowd.

In the end I went with 215/65 15's and Pirelli P4000 super touring
tires.  For those who don't remember I really liked them on my GTI.

First observation:  Ok, maybe 205/70's are a better tire size (closer to
stock diameter and width, the 215's really need 6" rims) but the Pirellis
did not come in that size.  The 215's fit w/no problems, and the diameter
is prettyDarnClose(tm).

Second Observation: Wow, I really love this car.  The tires make such a
difference.  I'll never drive on those old red-lines again.  I took an
off-ramp at a good 10 mph higher that with the old tires.  No squeling
(drat, that part was fun, especially at 5mph in parking lots, watching
old ladies abandon thier shopping carts and runfor cover), great grip,
and not to mention a *much* quiter ride that was noticably less harsh.
Plus, the car is safer and will proabably get (minimally) better gas
milage.  OK, my maroon car looked good with red-lines, but these full
fenders look pretty damn cool.  Even the SO said, "Wow, the look very
sporting". (she's cool).

When I get something that resembles a suspension (shocks and bushings and
springs are all toast), I'll be able to give a more accurate judgement
on the tire.  The biggest surprise is that steering effort went down!
despite the large increase in width.  This is good, for I am on a major
pot-hole avaidance run during every drive, trying to keep the suspension
off the bumb-stops.

Thanks to all that responded.

Greg U - on the road again

"Why do men lie about it (being married)?
Don't they know we'll sleep with them anyway?"
        - Blanch "The Golden Girls"
Gregory Urban   gurban1@umbc.edu        urban@cs.umbc.edu       urban@CCCI.com