TR6 - Floor Pan Rust (Bad or Not too Bad????)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - Floor Pan Rust (Bad or Not too Bad????)
From: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 13:54:40 -0400
Grace recently got caught leaving the TR6 out in a deluge the other day
resulting in a couple of inches of water leaking onto the floors (subject of
future post)

The point being - that it was the impetus to finally go ahead and take out
the interior; seats, carpeting and the D#$% foam that the DPO had glued under
the carpeting.

Passenger side is fine - however on the drivers side I found a good bit of
rust from the forward edge of the seat to the firewall.

I need to mention that the under sides of the floor pans are very good, with
no rust.  The edges of all the pans appear to be very solid.  As are the
sills and posts (as best as I can tell)

After wire brushing the pan I have -  approx 35 "pinholes" through the floor
pan.  Scattered around the whole area described, now brushed back to solid
metal around them.  4-5 are 1/4" round - the remainder are 1/16-1/8" in
diameter.

Obviously I am not keen to replace the pan.  I am also not keen on
compromising safety, nor do I particulary want to become a DPO.  We will most
likely have the car apart again, and more completely in a couple of years -
giving us the oportunity to perform this surgery then, in concert with other
body work/paint.

Comments ???  - Observations???  - Any Thoughts???

TIA
JoeSimcoe (and Grace)