Re: tranny tunnel question

To: Jonathan.Moody@ny.ubs.com
Subject: Re: tranny tunnel question
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 15:23:34 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

replacing the tranny tunnel cover is pretty easy. You need a drill for
the holes for the hold-down bolts, I used a hole slightly larger than
1/4" so I had "room for fitment". I then glued in the weather stripping,
this was a pain in the ass, you get the black stuff all over the place.
Once the weather strip is tacked in to the point that it is not going to
fall off (let it set over-night), poke holes in the weather strip so the
bolts can pass through. Take a 3/4" blade drill and drill out the hole
for the wires for the reverse lights and O/D unit (if you are lucky
enough to have an O/D!). Then the last step before actual fitment is to
take to little angle thingies that the tunnel cover kick panel attaches
to and pop-rivet that to the new tunnel.

In all cases, keep the old cover around for reference and get the hole
locations from it.

I had no problem installing mine, it took maybe 2 hours for the whole
project. The job would have taken less time, but I tried installing the
cover before the sealing strips were dried, and the strips kept moving
around on me.

Note: the most useful tool for this job is an air-powered socket wrench.
The bolts holding the cover down are pretty long and using a regular
socket to sock-em all down gets tired pretty fast. Note however that you
should start the bolts by hand before using the air wrench so you don't
bugger up the threads...

That's my experince.

rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: You'll have to talk to my attorney about that topic...