BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [camley <Christopher.C.Amley

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [camley <Christopher.C.Amley-1@tc.umn.edu>]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:05:18 -0400
    Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 19:39:40 -0700
    From: camley <Christopher.C.Amley-1@tc.umn.edu>
    Subject: TR-3 radiator crank hole

TR-3s have a crank-start capability (a favorite feature for showing off).
The crank passes thru a hole in the lower part of the radiator.
My car, like many 4-cylinder, TRs tends to run hot and I was wondering
whether the hole reduces the effectiveness of the radiator.
It looks as tho the tubes are just blocked off at the hole.  (Is there a
passage for coolant around the hole?) Anyway, I was wondering whether
fitting a new radiator core, sans crank hole, would result in better
cooling.  Has anyone done this?  I hate to give up the ability to start
the car with a crank, but if it'd eliminate my running-warm problem I
just might do it.

BTW, this is not a serious problem.  I don't think the engine would ever
cook, but after running on the highway on a 85F day, some coolant will
burp out when I come to a stop.  Is this a common, er, feature?

Also, the cooling system is in good shape.  It has an original
sleeve-type thermostat, the fan belt is fine, there's no sludge in the
system, and there are no combustion products in the coolant.

TIA,
Chris
TS39449L - A Driver