Running on four cylinders....(instead of six)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Running on four cylinders....(instead of six)
From: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 20:30:00 -0500
I just got my GT6 back from my mechanic, after he had done some tests on it.
The compression (dry) was measured to be about 200 across the board - but a
leak down test showed in some cases 50% blow-by - if not a 100%. The
intrepetation of that should be that my piston-rings are a mess - but for
now we will try with Restore in the engine oil to see if that will help
somewhat. However, I barely made it home today before I noticed a rough
running, and when I looked into it - it was not running on the 3rd and 4th
cylinder AT ALL. Hmmmm - checked the compression - showed about 200 on both.
Checked the spark to the two cylinders - (apparently) no problem. However,
the spark plug looked like it never ignited anything - it is slightly moist
from gasoline - but no traces of anything burnt (they were put in at my
mechanic). And now my $64,000 question (or more likely $5 being on a student
budget) - WHY THE H... AM I NOT GETTING ANY ACTION ON THESE TWO CYLINDERS -
I HAVE SPARK< COMPRESSION, AND GAS/AIR?????

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

GT6 Mk. 2 1969 (Red w/1972 GT6 engine - and black targa-top)
GT6 Mk. 3 1971 (White - w/TR250 engine)
....not responsible for any of these changes...
....the DPO did it....hmmmm.....