Re: Body (Car silly !) work hints please

To: pleask@mailhost.wlc.com (Pat Leask), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Body (Car silly !) work hints please
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 20:51:09 -0700
At  7:04 PM 8/19/96 -0700, Pat Leask wrote:
>Okay, the MINI my wife bought a couple of weeks ago that was going to sit
>for a year or two is now fully stripped.....(I waited two days, honest !)
>
>Can anyone please give me some hints on doing rust repair ? I'm new to this
>type of thing in cars.
>
>After a chunk of rust is cut back to good metal, a patch has to be put in
>place. The patch I assume goes UNDER the panel surface ? Brazed on and
>ground down the filled, sanded etc ?

umm you might drop by your local library & look at a few books on
automotive body work.

My TR3 had a number of bad rust areas I had them corrected in 3 different ways.

1. Replacing complete panels.  If you look around, you might be able to
find companys selling new complete body panels, or people with parts minis
that have panels you need in good shape.

2. Cutting out sections of a panel and having new sections welded in.  In
this case, the patches were cut to just fit inside the cut outs.  The
patches were welded in flush with the sorrounding panel.  The weld was
ground smooth on the side that showed.  You ended up with a smooth patch
without poprivits sticking up or loads of bondo.

3. Rust pit holes were just welded over.  Metal was deposited to fill the
hole and the showing surface was ground down to blend in.

>I plan on cutting out the old, and cutting out the new patch about 1/2"
>bigger all around, pop rivet it in and then call my welding buddy. Is this
>okay ? Yes, I'll use metal rivets...

Shudder

>Thanks, Pat
>1966 TR4 A