FW: Spitfire LeMans 1147 Racing Heads

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Spitfire LeMans 1147 Racing Heads
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 96 14:30:00 PDT
Encoding: 41 TEXT
On Thurs, Peter Ficklin wrote

Ross:
I understand by a way of a reply from Brian S. Thomas that you are also
interested in one or both of these marvelous pieces of cast metal!  I
sent a message to him indicating that I was interested also, but I
haven't talked to Greg as of yet.  Maybe we could work something out on
shipping out here to the Left Coast...Good Luck!
P.S.  BTW, how in the heck ya gonna bolt that blower up to this thing???

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I spoke to Greg Kerr last night over the telephone.  Nice guy.  I may have
spoiled the whole thing by giving him my opinion as to the potential value
of the heads, based upon my understanding that there is some company in the
U.K. that is making replica LeMans heads for approx. $1,500 U.S.  He was
already aware of this tidbit, so perhaps not.

In any event, I gave him a ballpark figure that I might be willing to pay,
but since I am cash poor right now I also told him that if I were him I
would wait a month or two and see what kind of offer(s) he gets.  If they
are more than mine, then by all means sell them to the highest bidder.
 OTOH, if nobody else wants to pay what I'll pay to call me back.  While I'd
love to have one (or both) I really think there is at least one or more
serious collectors of this type of stuff who will pay far more than I can
afford and I'm not out to buy them cheap, then flip them.  It's just not
kosher.  So, I'll wait and see if he calls.  You know, even if he sells one
of them to me I'll still have to fabricate the intake manifolds (not too
difficult) and then purchase twin DCOE Webers (very $$$$$$).  Boy would that
really slow down my restoration project (but it would be really bitchin when
finished!!!!).

As to the blower - I think I am going to pass.  The amount of engineering
involved is probably greater than the ultimate reward, and frankly for the
type of driving I expect to do, a very small nitrous bottle in the trunk
with a couple of tiny fogger nozzles in the intake manifold is just as
effective, a lot safer for the motor and a heck of a lot easier to engineer
and install.  Cheers.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)