RE: Indexing Spark Plugs

To: "'Patrick McMullen'" <mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Subject: RE: Indexing Spark Plugs
From: Chris and Karen Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 15:04:53 -0700
Cc: "'British Car List'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

----------
From:   Patrick McMullen[SMTP:mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu]
Sent:   Sunday, September 01, 1996 7:18 AM
To:     triumphs@autox.team.net

Eddy,

You should be able to get those electrodes close just by using one washer
of the right thickness.  They make kits for this operation that can be
purchased at most auto parts stores.  I think they are made by Morroso.
I would not use more than one washer.
Indexing the spark plugs is an act of improving the combustion
efficiency.  Even a stock engine can benefit from this.  Not all engine
cylinder head designs are alike.  That is why the indexing location is
not always pointed at the intake valve.  On the TR-6 you want to index
them to the exhaust valve.
Also make sure you buy the proper washers.  They make two kinds.  Flat
washers and taper washers.  Look at the base of the spark plug the area
that seats to the head.  If it is flat, use a flat washer etc. etc.

Good Luck Eddy

Pat in NC      CF 29252 U   "Counting down for Road America"

Pat,
        Forgive my ignorance here...re: indexing the plugs---are we trying to
get the gap
opening to face the intake valve?  Please explain in a little further detail
just what "indexing"
entails.

Thanks,
Chris "what...list em on cards?" Prugh