Re: U-joint (not) sound

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: U-joint (not) sound
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 15:11:25 -0400
Hi Ralph, Dave, et alii,

Yeah, watch out for cracks or other damage to those U-joint yokes, I had
one with crack bad enough to let the Jesus clip get out, which allowed a
cap and rollers to fall out, which soon resulted in the whole car (69 Spit)
doing the Hula as the axle slowly tried to disengage itself from the diff.
A look in the outside mirror at the L rear wheel wobbling around like that
is guaranteed to make you slow down in a hurry.

Welding the old one might have worked, I got a salvage piece instead, since
heat treating / metallurgy are still largely magic to me.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
TR-250
SW Ohio