TR3 starters again

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 starters again
From: Hctcbob@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 19:08:14 -0400
I hate to ask you all to rehash this, but I'm guilty of not paying attention
to a thread that
I now find important.  I've been having problems with starting the '59 TR3A
vintage race car when it's hot. I'm wondering if it's got the wrong starter
in it. I remember someone writing that the wrong starter will work for a
while, but expire quickly.  The PO indicated that he had just had this one
rebuilt, and it wasn't the first time. It is the "open" pinion version, not
the longer partially covered type. I've looked up the Vin # and Engine #, and
the catalogs tell me I should be using the "longnose" starter (VIN TS35879L).
 This car has been raced and modified by others for 20 years prior to me
getting ahold of it, and the flywheel, clutch etc may have been changed at
some point.  Can I tell from looking at the flywheel after removing the
starter which starter I should be using?

TIA

Bob in Austin