Re: Spitfire paint cracks

To: Steve Sides <steve_sides@gilbarco.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire paint cracks
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:02:54 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Steve Sides wrote:

>      Looking for some wisdom from the list.  My Spit has developed some
>      paint cracks on the bonnet.  The cracks are in the center of the
>      bonnet on both sides of the raised portion and on the right wing about
>      3" down from the top.  Both cracks run almost the length of the
>      bonnet.  The paint job is about 18 months old.  Paint is acrylic
>      enamel with hardener and fisheye additives.  No cracks have appeared
>      anywhere else on the car.  The bonnet stiffener is in place and tight
>      and there are no metal defects in these areas.  Are Spits prone to
>      this problem ?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Sounds like the paint was simply applied too thick, and is simply
cracking since it doesn't bend very well.  The metal on any car's
bonnet is subject to quite a bit of flex.

The problem you describe is more common with a dozen coats of lacquer
paint, but can still happen whenever paint is applied too thickly.

--ken
http://www.vtr.org

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com