Re: Which grade oil for first fire-up?

To: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Subject: Re: Which grade oil for first fire-up?
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 17:12:44 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
For a newly rebuilt moter, overbored, new pistions, new rings, new bearings,
new cam and lifters etc.

WHAT GRADE OIL do I use initially?

Brian,

When I rebuilt my last engine about 2 years ago, I went through the same
question with some of my local machine shops. The popular concensus here in
the DC area is to use straight 30 weight for the first 500, or so, miles. The
reasoning was the friction reducing additive package of the multweights will
slow the seating process of the parts that need to bed-in together. After the
500 miles, switch to the oil of you choice.

I followed this advice and my modified 1500 engine has been running strong
since.

Have fun,
Charlie B.