truth stranger than fiction

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: truth stranger than fiction
From: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 96 7:36:54 PDT
In regards to v8 Spits etc, things I have seen done
along this line (seen personally or in photos.)
BMW Isetta with extended wheelbase and Allison V12
aircraft engine.
Three examples of Rolls-Royce with Merlin V12.
Several V8 Morris Minors.
289 Ford in a TR4
Rover 3.5 in a TR3 (very clean job!)
455 Pontiac in back seat of VW Beetle.
Chevy 327 motorcycle.
Hemis in Anglias.
289 Ford in Cortina (cheaper than Lotus Motor)
Dragster with 4 Allison V12 aircraft engines (1 driving
each wheel)
Buick nailhead V8 in Swallow Doretti (famous car)
Big Block in a Herald (English drag racer)
My favorite one is a car that was built for a long
defunct racing series in England called Super Saloon.
The rules basically said that the car had to resemble a
production 4 seater in profile and the engine had to be
in the same general location (read same end of the car)
One example was a Vauxhall Firenza "Droop Snoot" with a
Cosworth DFV F1 engine about where the gearbox would normally
be and the driver about in the back seat. But the best one
was the guy who dropped a fiberglass VW fastback body on
a McLaren M8 Can Am chassis. Injector stacks through the
back window and his beaming face nearly pressed up against
the front window.

I'm done now, goodbye.

Kurt Oblinger
Redondo Beach, Ca.

p.s A Herald with 140 hp is called a Vitesse 2L with a warmed
over engine.