GT6 starts but still backfires into carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 starts but still backfires into carbs
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 16:11:03 -0800 (PST)
Howdy all,
        What's up everyone? Good news: she started tonight! The Bomb
erupted into a low, guturall roar using those six cylinders. It roared at
2000 RPM, but that'll go away with carb tuning. My only prob is this: when
I touched the acclerator, the rear carb immditatly backfired (spat out gas
and smoke with a loud "clap" sound-I think that's the car backfiring into
the carb). This happens every time. I'm using 10W-40 engine oil in the
dashpots, is that too heavy? Could it be that the oil is _too_ resistant to
the piston going up and therefore causing it to backfire like that? That
was my first thought, but then I decided that would be too easy. Any other
ideas?

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Jeff Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net