240 Z Alum Brake Drums

To: triumph digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 240 Z Alum Brake Drums
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 18:33:43 -0600
I sent out the original answer to the question regarding Datsun brake
drums on the TR's.

I have them installed on my vintage TR4 racer and they went through 40
hours at racing speeds this summer. At least six fellow racers in my
circle of friends also use them. You really don't have to believe me
when I say they fit. That's your choice in a free country. However, for
those who choose to believe me, or for those who missed it last time, I
will repeat the list of minor alterations necessary to make them fit:

1. Bore out large center hole to same diameter as protrusion on TR hub
2. Ream out wheel stud holes to fit the stud shoulder
3. Machine the groove at the outer diameter into which the backing plate
flange fits - 1/8 inch larger diameter, 1/8 inch deeper.
4. Machine 1/8 inch off of the width of the steel insert on which the
brake linings run

Cost of my drums was $10 apiece. Machining sounds complicated when
described in words but is really not. My cost was $35.

This retrofit works for TR3, TR4, TR4a, TR6, ad nauseum.