Seal - Crankshaft

To: triumph digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seal - Crankshaft
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 19:14:36 -0600
Someone asked about the rear crankshaft seal sold by Moss, Gilanders,
and others.

I installedone on my TR4 before this racing season. It worked great. We
ran seven race events, put over 40 hours on the engine at racing speeds
of 4000 to 6500 rpm. I disassembled the engine this weekend for the
winter rebuild. The inside of the bellhousing was dry as a bone. HOORAY
- ONE LEAK CONQUERED!

This kit cannot be installed in the car with the engine in. The
crankshsaft must by turned down to a smaller diameter in the area where
the normal scroll 'seal' usually runs. This is not an expensive
operation and is done while the crank is in the grinder being ground.
The kit consists of two aluminum castings similar to the scroll seal but
with a machined cavity to receive the seal, a split neoprene seal, and a
tension spring that is placed in the seal and then hooked together.

i plan to re-install the same seal on the engine for the next season.
Hope I'm not being too stingy.

Jack W. Drews (a squealing tire is a happy tire - us guys from Iowa know
about that stuff...)