FW: Ignition Switch

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: FW: Ignition Switch
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 07 Nov 1996 10:28:55 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 043B632822A67040-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <043B632822A67040*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
 Ike wrote:

I recently acquired a 71 Spit 1300.
I got an ignition switch off a 72 that i bought for parts.
When you switch from "ON" (II) to "START" (III) the key does not return
to the "ON" position, but rather keeps running the starter, and when the
car fires, you have to turn it back manually.  This can't be how it was
designed! Does anyone know if this is repairable? Can the switch be
dissassembled?  I would be greatful for any help.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi, Ike.  I have a 64 Spitfire with the same problem.  No, it was not
designed that way, it is sticking.  Try something WD-40 or another spray
lubricant.  If that doesn't work, try some powdered graphite.  The cylinder
core is probably sticking to the sides of the barrel, and the spray
lubricant should loosen it up.  I would not try to disassemble the switch
itself as I do not think there is a way to do so without marring the case
and/or destroying it.

Good luck.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)