TR3 Starter

To: "TR's" <triumphs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET>
Subject: TR3 Starter
From: Doug Mathews <MATHEWS@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 96 21:00:08 EST
For those that remember the "spaghetti" I found in my gas tank, it did
indeed turn out to be the remains of a golf ball, half the cover, the
center part and the long rubber bands.

This weekend, I removed the tank, cleaned it out, and the gas line from
the tank and I now have gas to the fuel pump.

Alas, another minor problem.....

Its been 2 months since I've started the car and now, when I engage the
starter, the starter motor turns, but it acts like it is not engaging
the flywheel. I presume its the portion of the started that I believe
extends to meet the flywheel is not moving. It has turned cold and it
has been sitting, but inside and out of the elements.

Intuition says remove the starter, but am I correct in my assessment, or
are there other items to check first? It did this a time or two when it
was warm, but the second try or so, it always turned the engine over. I
also had charged the battery and as a fallback,used jumper cables when
it did not turn over.

TIA......

 . Doug Mathews    Voice: 706-542-6820 FAX: 706-542-0349       .
 . University of Georgia   Athens, Georgia                     .