Re: Lead additives (was Problems with new fuel & Marvel Mystery Oil)

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: Re: Lead additives (was Problems with new fuel & Marvel Mystery Oil)
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 21:44:20 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott,

I used a lead additive on my Norton motorcycle.  I had the heads off to
clean them and found a lot of build up on the valves.  Assuming it was
from something the PO did or didn't do I cleaned them up and ran the bike
for two years, with lead additive.  I can't recall which it was.  During
the next tear down, to do the rings, the valves were crudded up again.  I
cleaned them again.  Just for grins, I stripped the head off again a year
or so later.  The valves were still clean.  I will no longer use any
additives which coat engine parts.  The lead product I used left nasty
deposits on the valve heads.

I have since learned that most people just run what you got and if they
pocket install the hardened stuff.  I put another 10,000 miles on the
Norton with no appreciable pocketing of the valves.  Unlike my TR3,  I
ran the bike hard,  a lot of full throttle and to the red line on a
regular basis.  I was younger then and had to make sure the rice burner
crotch rockets respected British Iron.  For what I have read,  keep the
revs reasonable and a little top cylinder lube like Marvel mystery oil in
the gas periodically,  will keep the valves in good shape.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
1960 TR3-A TS69032L
'74 Norton Commando Roadster