Re: Haynes manuals and valve adjustments

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Haynes manuals and valve adjustments
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 07:46:57 -0800
< snip >
>For example, my Haynes manual doesnšt adequately explain how to do ...  a
valve adjustment.   Knowing that the adjustment is critical, my question
about it is this -- for reference, how do you know when a given valve is
fully open or closed?  Is the TDC mark somehow a reference?  While turning
the engine over by hand, it isnšt obvious to me at exactly what point to
stop to check a valvešs clearance.  What say ye, oh great Orb de Triumph?
Well, not speaking for the great Orb but for myself, while rotating the
engine the same way as it would be running, watch the rockers in question
i.e. the cylinder that your going to adjust.  After both valves open and
close in sequence, and the last valve in that cylinder (exhaust) closes,
continue to rotate the crank 180 deg.  Those two valves may now be adjusted-
repeat the procedure for the remaining cylinders.  There are other ways,
such as noting which valves are open on the opposite firing ( same position
both at top dead center) cylinder then adjusting your valves, but it can get
confusing- when checking clearance you aren't concerned with the fully open
condition, but if you watch carefully you will see the rockers move ( push
on the valve stem ) then stop moving just before they start to move again
this is the position that valve is fully open -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+