BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [Philip Smith <smith007@conc

To: triumphs
Subject: BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [Philip Smith <smith007@concentric.net>]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:25:30 -0700 (MST)
     Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:10:25 +0000
     From: Philip Smith <smith007@concentric.net>
     Subject: Re: TR6 clunk sound

Chad M. Stretz wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I have the same problem with my 73.  I pulled the diff out
> and the mounts look great.  The u-joints seem to be ok, so
> now I'm wondering about free play in the diff?  Stuart Bollen
> says it's unlikely.  Is it?  Does anybody know how to check
> it?  The CLUNK comes from the diff area, and I don't think
> it's the splined shafts.  My shock mounts are tight, too.
> What thing or combination of things inside the diff could
> make that God-awful noise??  Any more information on this
> subject would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Chad

Chad,I too have a diff. concern. Altough, the 6 has all new u
joints,the bracket with gussets appear fine, what I'm experiencing is
more physical, than audible. for instance, after I back out the
diveway, shift from reverse to first, there's more of a thump than a
clunk; the sound is not metallic sounding.I hope this makes since. I
haven't been an LBC owner for long. I have no hope of ever being
proficient in mechanics, however I do harbor the hope of learning what
the SOUNDS mean!
Phil Smith
Tampa,Fl.