white-face gauges; what Minis used them? (fwd)

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: white-face gauges; what Minis used them? (fwd)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 10:53:28 +0500 (EST)
I posted this yesterday to the mini-list, but they seem to be having too
much fun discussing handbrake turns and other things. ;-)*

I've heard that some Minis (perhaps earlier ones) used a white-faced
Jaeger/Smiths gauge set. (This would seem to be confirmed by looking at
the CAI Instruments -- successors to Smiths/Jaeger -- web site.) Can
anyone tell me what Minis used such gauges and perhaps describe them more
fully to me? Actually, a .jpg, .gif or .bmp (or pointers to Web sites
with such pictures/info) of the gauge(s) would be ideal. Barring that,
I'm interested in knowing what color any lettering, numbering and needles
would be (black? grey?). I'm also interested in knowing how common these
were (i.e., available used), particularly oil pressure gauges, which I'm
considering trying to locate at some point, to match the gauges in, er,
well, another outstandingly famous British vehicle introduced the same
year as was the Mini.

TIA for your help.

--Andy

p.s. My sister once had a Mini 1000 -- great car. And I've a few bits of
a long-gone 850 Mini lying about (mostly glass)....

*No offense intended, Mini-listers!