Re: '76 TR7 "Victory Edition" SAFETY RECALL!

To: Britcarcom@aol.com
Subject: Re: '76 TR7 "Victory Edition" SAFETY RECALL!
From: Jamie Palmer <jamiep@cris.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 00:41:12 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Britcarcom@aol.com wrote:
(snip)
> to which Andrew Mace replied on Thu 21 Nov 96 (in part):
>
> >I remember the "Victory Edition," circa 1976, notable for its sliding
> >sunroof and white "spoke" wheels (much like wheels popular on Jeep-type
> >vehicles of the period, and about as heavy). White was probably the most
> >common color, although there were others, I believe.
>
> If I recall, this car's truly interesting story was that the NHTSA (or
> whichever U.S. govt group dealt w/car safety in '76) actually made BL in the
> USA recall the car to replace the wheels. The white spoker wheels were
> aftermarket, I believe, and had a tendency to crack under stress. Most
> unsafe! I think BL replaced the wheels; don't know whether it was with
> equivalent but stronger white spokers or some other kind of wheel altogether.
>
> Any old BL folks out there whose memories are better than mine?
>
> John Voelcker
> www.britishcar.com

YIPE!  I was preparing to autocross my Spit (studs changed out) on a set
of these wheels borrowed from a friend...(note, this is a low, low
budget effort, and the wheels were free, etc, I know they aren't the
best anyway because of weight).  Is this true???

Jamie Palmer
(anticipating needing yet another set of TR-7 steel wheels....)