Re: Restoration Sequence

To: PVANDAL@aol.com
Subject: Re: Restoration Sequence
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 18:22:36 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
PVANDAL@aol.com wrote:

> In the process of performing a ground up restoration on a TR250 / 6 is it
> best to repair the inner and outer body panels before removing the body unit
> from the chassis frame to insure / help  the proper line-up when
> re-installation occurs after the frame repair?

Hello,

   Although I am only doing a frame-on restoration (due only to lack
of foresight), I would go about a frame-off resto this way- Replace all
the floor panels and sills BEFORE removing the body. If you are going to
R&R (remove and replace) the fenders do so now also- don't foget to
paint behind in there (I know Triumph didn't, but they wanted you to
come back and buy a new car after this one rotted out), but don't get
too fancy with the outside-yet. Remove doors and bolt in some cross
bracing to the doorjamb, using the hinge and latch bolt holes. This
will keep the inheirently weak body work from distorting.
  Then, after all the "heavy", structual, body work is done, you can
remove the body to work on the frame. I would suggest doing the "fin-
ish" body work on the outside of the body, as well as painting the
body, while it is off the frame.  This will really show up as a
quality job, due to lack of body color overspray on the frame, and
with such good access, a nice finish in the engine bay and underside
of the wheelarches and floors.
  The only disadvantage to painting the body off the frame is that
it will be very hard to move it around (to paint it) and it may get
scratced during re-attachment to the frame.
  Like I've said earlier, I've never done it, but after piece by piece
R&R'ing my entire car, this is the best method I've dreamed up to do
it right~for next time....

                        JOE IV
                        TR 250
                WALLINGFORD, CT. USA