TR3 Frame ???

To: :
Subject: TR3 Frame ???
From: ron botting <ron_botting@mindlink.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 07:47:39 -0800
I have just about completed the refinishing of my TR3 frame and I have one
question regarding the factory assembly of the 'front cross member'. Prior
to my rust removal (Redi-Strip), I had to cut away the Plate which runs
across the lower cross section of the front cross member. As my car has some
previous frame damage, I had to cut off this plate to facilitate straitening
the cross member, I then left it off to facilitate metal cleaning and
refinishing. Now my Question: One my car this lower plate was only welded on
either side. It was only welded to each frame rail, and not to the Cross
member itself, of which it forms the lower plate. So if anyone can advise
me, was this standard practice? or should I hit it with a few spot welds
along each if it's sides, which I beleive would add considerable strength
and would probably prevented a large amount of the previous damage.

Does any of this make sense ?

Thanking you advance

Ron Botting
Surrey, B.C. Canada