Re: Triple Strombergs

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: Triple Strombergs
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 14:41:33 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I talked to Mr. Good about his car at Asheville, at Albany and at another
Autocross that I invited him to up in Boston. He claims that he gets
around 150 HP on the dyno with with his "trips" and his cam (and roller
rockers etc.). This is, of course, better than stock, fer shure. But in
reality, his car is really in the "prepared" realm, as opposed to say
"street prepared" in SCCA Solo II lingo.

I should think that triple carbs will flow way better than 2 carbs,
theoretically they will flow 50% more, all other things being equal. The
question is: do the manifolds flow as well as they possibly can. If so,
three carbs should be better. WRT Mark Bradakis' comments about cylinder
phase etc. I also would like to see real dyno numbers on the setup.

The air cleaner that he has is pretty interesting. He puts a largish
air cleaner up front in the area of the air dams (for cool input). Then he
uses some 3 or 4 inch hose to attach the air cleaner assembly to a "box"
that covers the triple carbs. The setup is actually pretty good from the
perspective that he is taking in "cool" air in front of the radiator.
This makes for better combustion. The "box" may be an issue for
discussion with the rules guys, I believe that he needs to provide
pressure relief from the back-end lest his competitors accuse him of
running with a pressurized intake...

The triple carb manifolds are pretty neat, nice aluminum that is polished
etc.

Oh, on another performance note: if you are going for performance, you do
not want to have the intake manifold "pre-heater" tubes connected on your
car. Again, this is done to get the coolest fuel "charge" into your
engine that you can possibly get. However, this mod makes for nasty
streetability!!

Richard Good will sell you the air box, the manifolds, the roller rockers
and fuel lines etc.

As for Mr. Good's performance, at Ashville, I believe he was first in the
"modified" class. But he was a fair shake slower than J.K. Jackson. I
heard the Mr. Jackson was clocked at over 85 MPH on one section of the
course. I saw him, and he was "crankin'". I know that JK Jackson had FTD
at Ashville.

Oh, and JK Jackson's car is most def. set up for Autocross. He even has
his O/D unit setup for use in the lower gears to get that "optimum" power
to the ground thing. The guy is tres quick!

All this talk about carbs has me thinking about doing something with my car!

Okay, back to work.
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? 3.5, more or less.