Mazda/Triumph trannies

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Mazda/Triumph trannies
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 18:56:05 -0500
Fellow Gear Grinders-

Someone on the list postulated that a Mazda tranny would bolt up to a TR. So,
I hustled off to the shop to investigate. I do not know how many Mazda
trannies there are, but I had a couple sittin there (no rotary models). I
matched one up to a few different TR trannies and...not a chance. The Mazda
bell housing pattern is totally different and taller than any of the TR
trannies. There is an old adage about anything being possible if you throw
enough money at it. I think this may come under that heading.
Additionally, the reason I have the Mazda trannies in the shop is because
they're not noted for being exactly "stout". The bearing mounted in the
center plate on the mainshaft tends to self-destruct.

Again, this data is not based on the rotary box. This may be of a different
design at the bell housing end. I know that they are different internally (I
hope they're stronger as Ford is using them on some applications).

Anybody got any other ideas about stronger/different trannies for the TR
range? How about a T5, anybody tried it?

Never one to leave it stock...
     Nick in Nor Cal