Re: Twin SUšs on a Spit? Just supposinš ...

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: Twin SUšs on a Spit? Just supposinš ...
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:10:11 -0500
Cc: Bschwartz@encad.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Martin,

  I did that once, on a '78 Spit I used to own.  I can't tell
you what the exact extent of their contribution to power was
as I also made many other modifications as well.  I increased
compression, put in a "hotter" cam, header, and free flow ex-
haust.  I can state, however, that even with all these mods,
that I was able to maintian a 800 RPM idle and had no hesitation
or flat spots during acceleration.
  Emissions compliance was a nightmare though.  For that, I had to
essentialy shut down one carb and raise the idle to get it to pass.
 I don't remember what carbs I used except that I was told they were
"MGA" carbs ( I think they were 1 1/2 dia) with a remote fuel bowl.
I never knew enough to worry about jets or needles, I just assumed
with the same displacement it would be o.k. (God does protect babes
and fools.)  The intake was from an earlier Spitfire engine, and it
bolted right up.  As they say, been there, done that, got the [pict-
ures].

                               JOE IV
                               TR 250
                        WALLINGFORD, CT. USA