Spitfire Paint - USA Spec?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Paint - USA Spec?
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 12:46:00 +0000
     Hello All
     I have owned my red Spitfire 1500 for nearly 7 years (it was first
     registered in Coventry, England in Jan 1978).  A few years ago I found
     out that the original paint colour (Flamenco - CAD on the commission
     plate) was not officially used on any Spitfires (it was a BL colour
     used on Allegros etc).  The TSSC Spitfire guru John Thomason reckons
     that it could have been some kind of trial car for the North American
     market, although the rest of the car is entirely UK spec.  Does anyone
     know if this colour was officially imported to America, or have
     another explanation for this anomoly.

     Pat Catchpole

     '78 Spitfire 1500
     '73 GT6 Mk III