tr3 wire wheel conversion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: tr3 wire wheel conversion
From: fontaine <fontaine@scooby.lklnd.usf.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:52:08 -0500
James Fowler wrote:

> Any suggestions on the conversion to wire wheels for a 1960 TR3A?  I
> have a set of original wires that have been stored for 15 years in a barn.
>  What  parts are needed; what are the pit falls; what do I need to do to
> the wheels before they are installed?
j.f;
i went the other way, wire to steel a few yrs ago on my tr3b
you will have to change the studs(they are shorter than the ones on your
car.)youll need hub extensions in place of the ones for steel wheels
(make sure youve got the correct ones on the correct side, or the
knock-offs will come off as you motor down the road!)
as for the wires, if theve been stuffed away for that length of time, i
wouldhave them torn down magnafluxed for cracks, and respoked--nothing
worse than a wire wheel disintegrating while at speed.i had my mgtc
wheels done with stainless steel spokes by a guy in calif.when i was out
there..i think his shop is called valley wire wheels..if you want ill
dig it out..he aint cheap, but he does excellent work.the guys at moss
will help you with any problems if you call them also.it is a bit of a
pain in the arse to get the studs on and locked-i spot welded mine for
insurance-i like to have wheels stay on the car.
dick fontaine
48 mgtc
62 tr3b