Carb help PLEASE vol 2.

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Carb help PLEASE vol 2.
From: Stuart Bollen <stuartb@voicenet.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 19:09:46 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Thanks for the advice. Anyway, to continue the sad saga, I took the carb off
the machinre to dink with the float level, and after I got it apart,
rechecked the new parts I put in and realised the float was a different
shape, also the hole diameter in the jet was different. Then I realised the
plunger on the accel pump was 1/.4 shorter! In essence, all I could salvage
were the gaskets out of the $ 25 rebuild kit from Borg Warner. I called
their Tech line but they are closed until 12/26.

I guess I should have been suspicious when my carb number wasn't on the spec
sheet.I do know the kit was right by their book.

I did feel the accel piston was way off spec based on the spec sheet for
similar carbs, so shortened the stroke. This MAY help with the lousy gas
mileage.

Then I couldn't remember which vacuum port the distributor hooked up to.
Should it be the one closest to the manifold?

Now here's the best bit. In my anxiety/ impatience I forgot to tighten the
fuel line hose clamp. Started her up, and after a minute or so saw flames
coming out the engine bay. Luckily I have a dry powder extinguisher in the
garage. Spent the next three hours cleaning the engine compartment,
interior, and exterior.

Bottom Line-the car is now running just like it was before I messed with it
i.e. It will idle fine at 1000RPM for ages, drive it, stop and it won't idle
at all.Turn the idle back up to 1000, next time I stop it may go up to 2000.
For two days it didn't do it, then it started again.
The throttle stop is NOT sticking.

Problem 2  Won't start when it sits hot for a couple of minutes. Have to
floor it and crank till the battery's nearly dead. Then it fires up on 2 or
3 cylinders,. and gradually picks up. I know it sounds like flooding, but
the float and needle looked in excellent shape, and on the road the car goes
extremely fast, will rev to 6500 very quickly. I am pretty sure the cam is
stock. Talked to the DOP who installed this carb, said he never had a
problem *(natch).
Also the Haynes Book isn't bad, but has no specs for settings.