Re: Piccys

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Piccys
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:03:00 +0000
Subject: Piccys
Author:  krisc@pi.bns.com.au at INTERNET-PO
Date:    22/12/94 19:44

Hi all
Is it possible to post a low res piccy to the list ? (B&W line drawing) is it
allowable ?
yes it has lbc content, no it is not offensive, racist, bad taste would like to
post it prior to xmass
Tony
Sth.Oz

Even a low res piccy will be very large in comparison to a text file.  This
means that a huge amount of bandwidth will be spent sending your picture to all
the groups members.  Those with dial up accounts will then have to spend longer
on line waiting for the download from their server to their local machine to
complete.

Most mail programs will allow the piccy to be included as an 'attachment', but
you will then have to decide on the image format.  Different platforms (Unix,
Mac, PCs) will all have programs to view a picture but I don't think the image
format can be read by all.  This is NOT the way to distribute your artwork.

There are 3 possibilities that I can think of:
1) Tell everyone on this list what the picture is of, and what format you can
send it in, and then everyone who wants to see it can mail you directly with a
request.  You can then mail back the picture as an attachment to those
interested.
2) Post the picture to the relevant Usenet newsgroups, although if you haven't
done this before it's quite a hassle.  Say its a picture file in the subject
line though.
3) If you have some web space you could upload it to your homepage and then tell
us all the address.

Sorry there's no easy answer, but you have go me intrigued as to what it is :)

Merry Christmas

Pat