TR6 engine "ticking"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 engine "ticking"
From: Chad and Christy Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 06:55:20 -0600
Happy Holidays list!
A lot of you shared my TR6's clunk problems, so I'm hoping someone will
have experience in my next project.  I seem to have this annoying
ticking sound coming from (I think) the top end of my engine.  It's not
a valve thing as I've re-adjusted them 47 times.  It might be coming
from the cam/tappet area.  I pulled the pushrods to take a look and the
4th one back was mushrooming a little, and was starting to pit.  Of
course, I can't look at the lifters & cam without removing the head. : (
I'm unsure of the mileage of the engine, but I do know it has great oil
pressure and lots of power.  Oh, yeah, I tried pulling spark plug leads
to isolate the offending piston/cylinder thinking it might be a wrist
pin or something.  Still ticks  regardless.  It won't do it until it
warms up, I can hear it driving around town, and on the highway it makes
me want to shoot myself in the head.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chad Stretz