79 Spit - work progress

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 79 Spit - work progress
From: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@ncts.nola.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 09:40:13 -0600
Just a few quick notes about the latest work on my spit.

Warning: I bought a chrome (yuck) header from vicky b to replace my
holey one.  It had to be grinded a good bit to fit.  If you don't have access
to a grinder- good luck.  I was blessed by my neighbors generous tool
box.

I'm very displeased with the quality of vb.

My wife rebuilt the carb for me (I've got a cool wife), as I was replacing
the oil sump gasket.  In only two years, enough trash accumulated in the
bowl and diaphragm assembly to clog things up, and it corroded a bit of
the metal.  This junk makes an engine run pretty erratically.

I'm still trying to get the oil sump mounting bolts in past the home made
gasket (my wife made it).  Hint:  drill them holes in the gasket!

I lost a motor mount during the header replacement.  It sure is a pain to
replace something so "easy" to get to.

IDEA: I kept busting the water pipe that leads under header to the water
pump.  So, I replaced it with a braided metal water hose (house hold).  It
looks better and it doesn't break when bent.  Any foreseen problems in
doing this??

After this I get to replace the brake lines and then move to the paint and
top.  I'll take any hints.

Enjoy life,

Kevin Eddins