Re: Frozen calipers...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frozen calipers...
From: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 22:29:37 +0100
A couple of days ago I asked about ways to free up frozen calipers - and I
have gotten quite a few responses - so I thought that I would try to
summarize the advise given:

1) reconnect to the brakesystem and use the the brake-pedal to put pressure
on the system (not readily feasible for me - have the system in pieces -
but maybe next time ;-)!!)

2) fit a grease-gun to e.g. the bleed fitting, and apply grease into the
caliper. That should increase the pressure many times over air - but is
also supposedly EXTREMELY messy when the calipers decided to come out

3) try to press the pistons IN - and that way loosen them up - and then use
either air or grease to get them out.

4) soak in anything that may loosen rust and soften rubber

This weekend I will probably give some (or all) of these ways a try - will
probably start with 4), then move to 3) - and then have fun with 2).

Thanks to all who offered advise.

Michael

'74 TR6 in transit
'70 Spit - not really mine - but I get to work on it :-)